Welcome to SA Tech Help
related to an answer for: What exactly is the new Umoya Manje
in Vodacom-RSA by
0 0
the deregister of umoya manje airtime service is not working I try to deregister but it won't
0 0
can I still have access to umoya manje when I switch to the green card?

1 Answer

0 like 0 dislike
Best answer

Hi. This SASSA-based airtime scheme is facilitated by a company called Zazoo Limited (formally known as Net1 Mobile Solutions, a subsidiary of Net1 CPS). To deregister from the Umoya Manje airtime service, use one of the below methods.

Method One - If you do NOT have access to the number under which the service is registered

  • https://www.facebook.com/net1mobilesolutions.co.za - Facebook page (the page is no longer available - probably because of the company name change)
  • Visit your nearest SASSA office
  • Phone: Contact the Net1 CPS (Cash Payment Solutions) Call Centre on 0800 600 160 (toll free from a landline)
  • Email: socialgrantqueries@net1.com or info@zazooltd.com
  • Fax: +27 11 463 5158

Method two - If you have access to the number register under the service. Dial *130*4444# > Choose option 4 (Other) > Choose option 2 (Deregister) > Confirm...

by (Professional) (462k points)
edited by
unable to transact

Related questions

1 answer
1 answer
asked Jul 1, 2015 in Online/OTA Shopping by Thobeka | 1.7k views
1 answer
1 answer
asked Jun 4, 2017 in Other by irene (User) (600 points) | 2.9k views
SA Tech Help Q2A, where you can ask any question and receive answers from other members of the community'. SA Tech Help Q&A was created to be a free resource linking people with tech questions to experts who could provide answers. Since our launch in 2014, we have grown from a simple Q&A web site to providing additional help such as loans,roms, pricing information and more. All is completely free of charge. ... Do also NOTE that this website is a third party not directly affiliated with any company for which we offer support. If you not satisfied with the provided answer to your question' please use the reply/comment button below the answer section to request further assistance' You might want to add more info to support your question if necessary.