Welcome SA Tech Help.

1 Answer

by (Genius) (21.6m points)
0 votes
Best answer

You will have to visit your nearest SASSA office first thing in the morning with your ID and a sworn statement/affidavit from SAPS, confirming the card is lost or stolen.

The first lost card will be replaced for free, but thereafter a replacement fee of R26 will be instituted and will be deducted from your grant money on your next pay. Replacement of a lost or stolen card can be done at any SASSA office near you.

Related questions

SA Tech Help Q2A, where you can ask any question and receive answers from other members of the community'. SA Tech Help Q&A was created to be a free resource linking people with tech questions to experts who could provide answers. Since our launch in 2014, we have grown from a simple Q&A web site to providing additional help such as loans,roms, pricing information and more. All is completely free of charge. ... Do also NOTE that this website is a third party not directly affiliated with any company for which we offer support. If you not satisfied with the provided answer to your question' please use the reply/comment button below the answer section to request further assistance' You might want to add more info to support your question if necessary.